Product Test Engineer
Newbury, United KingdomJob ID 2019022
Software Engineers are responsible for developing, modifying, designing, and testing of products, software, systems or process. Our products and systems are created with the intent to bridge the gap between existing and emerging IT—fast-tracking digital transformations across DevOps, HybridIT, Security, and Predictive Analytics. Our talented teams thrive on turning ideas into solutions that solve our customer's most complex enterprise-scale challenges. If you thrive on contributing to the next generation technology evolution, then we’re looking for innovators like you!
- Level: Mid
- Travel: Minimal
What makes a successful Software Engineer at Micro Focus? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix. Additional related traits listed below.
- Problem Solver
- Results Driven
- Team Player
- Technologically Savvy
Paid Time Off
Life and Disability Insurance
System Test Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity to join the development department, within a flexible and informal working environment, which is structured into small, functional teams of highly creative individuals. Further career advancement opportunities exist for candidates that excel in the role.
Reports to: Testing Manager
Location: Newbury UK
Job Role / Broad Overview
Micro Focus offers a comprehensive suite of COBOL development and deployment environments. Our solutions offer fast migrations from the Mainframe to new platforms and innovative ways to reuse existing assets and modernise them.
It is intended that this role is a starting point for further career development within Micro Focus, giving the candidate experience in Micro Focus products, tools and practices, eventually leading on to an experienced system testing role, responsible for all aspects of the software testing lifecycle, including development, testing, support and maintenance of tests and infrastructure.
Initially your overall responsibilities will be to collaborate with other testing team members to isolate and escalate product issues. You will then need to work closely with developers to understand, integrate and automate tests for these issues into test suites.
Automation of testware is a key element of this role, so a strong technical background combined with the ability to learn new technologies is essential. Candidates will need to be able to review and contribute to functional and system test specifications for new features.
Once proficient at isolating and escalating product issues you will also be expected to design and implement automated functional and system tests. You will be testing the Micro Focus Enterprise Developer and Micro Focus Server product lines, using leading edge production system testing tools such as, Micro Focus Silk Performer.
You will have the opportunity to work on technology for mission critical production systems deployed into contemporary platforms including Containers and Cloud while utilising application modernisation and third-party technologies like MQ, SQL, JavaEE, Web Services.
Achieving product quality of the highest standard should motivate and drive you.
- Education to Degree Level – Computer Science or similar subject; or at least 3 years’ technical experience in software development or testing.
- A proven ability to learn new skills and a passion for personal and professional development. Attitude and aptitude are paramount.
- A highly personable team player who is able to work effectively with colleagues on achieving a wide range of goals.
- Committed to delivering results, making a positive impact and staying focused on the job in hand.
- A highly effective communicator who is able to explain complex technical issues
- An excellent troubleshooter, both technically and procedurally
- Demonstrate innovative and creative thinking.
- Able to work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Driven to be successful
- Interest and enthusiasm for testing
- Attention to detail and methodical approach
- Experience of testing processes and automation tools.
- UNIX Shell/Windows batch scripting.
- Experience of a wide range of platforms such as Windows, Unix, Linux, and z/OS
- Experience of programming highly advantageous.
- A natural problem solver who will resolve complex technical issues with the ability to stay calm and focused under pressure.
- Plus preferred skills, (not essential) :
- ISEB Foundation Certification in Software Testing, or a solid and demonstrable experience in test strategizing, planning and implementing.
- Experience with a wide range of complex business software e.g. relational database management systems, Spreadsheets, middleware, web servers, etc.
- Experience of Cloud and related technologies, (AWS/Azure).
- Knowledge and experience of mainframe technology, (e.g. CICS, IMS, JCL)
Micro Focus Named a Leader in IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Enterprise Automated Software Quality 2017-2018 Vendor Assessment
Broad and deep portfolio of products for ASQ and DevOps drive position
Micro Focus Delivers Comprehensive, Integrated Data Protection for HPE ProLiant for Microsoft Azure Stack
Seamless Protection for Corporate Data Spanning Hybrid Cloud Deployments; Simplifies Backup and Restore Process