Vertica Systems Software Data Management EngineerApply Job ID 7000423 Date posted 09/28/2017 Location Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Schedule Full time Shift No shift premium (United States of America) Category Engineering
Opportunity abounds at Micro Focus – now the world’s 7th largest pure-play software company. The robust offerings of Micro Focus and HPE Software have been brought together to create a bigger, better software-focused company that is unparalleled in the depth and breadth of our portfolio. Take charge of your future and join our dynamic Vertica team as we make a powerful impact on the world’s software landscape.
Systems Software Engineer – Data Management Team
Vertica is seeking a Systems Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA who is up to the task of integrating two complex MPP systems. Arguably, Vertica is already the best tool for analyzing big data in Hadoop. However, both systems are changing rapidly, as are customer use cases and these changes are creating new and interesting challenges.
In this exciting role you'll work both on the core of the Vertica database as well as on open source, C++ projects, such as libhdfs++ (Apache HDFS-8707 branch), Apache Parquet and Apache ORC.
- Design, develop, and improve integration between Vertica and Hadoop
- Own and take responsibility for projects.
- Identify drawbacks in existing infrastructure and contribute to its continual improvement.
- Assist other functional groups with understanding how infrastructure components interact.
- Develop and document intellectual property.
Education and/or Training:
- REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field plus several years of progressive experience in a similar position
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering, or related academic field a plus.
- PhD, or equivalent, in Computer Science, Engineering, or related academic field would also be a plus.
Knowledge and Experience (required):
- Ability to deliver extremely high quality code
- Algorithms (distributed or otherwise)
- C / C++, high performance, multi-threading or Java
- Gotten your hands dirty in the fundamentals of a system (e.g., protocols, compilers, OS interactions, performance tuning, etc.)
- Developer maturity (knowing when to balance the elegant solution against the engineering solution -- or even manage both)
Knowledge and Experience (bonus):
- Knowledge of HDFS and Hadoop in general
- Experience with “Big Data” management techniques
- Database or File System internals
We have been made aware of people posing as Micro Focus recruiters or part of the Human Resources team and making contact about job opportunities and extending job offers via text message, instant message or chat rooms. These job postings and offers are fraudulent and these people are in no way affiliated with Micro Focus. Read More